Rheumatoid Arthritis is one of the most common causes of disability in the United States.
For people suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis, maintaining mobility in their home is important.
Doing simple things like bathing, can double the fear of being in an accident due to their limited body movement and would need constant assistance.
By providing simple, low-cost additions to the bathroom, we can make their home safe and easier to get around and prevent accidents and falls in their own homes.
We know the importance of having essential aids to help ease pain and worry when taking a bath.
Here are the 15 Arthritis Bathroom Aids & Tools You Can’t Live Without that can provide comfort and ease when in the comfort of your bathroom.
Bathroom surface security arthritis bathroom aids
Be sure to secure your bathroom surfaces to prevent falls in the shower or bathtub.
1. Quick Suction Grab Bars
RAPM’s Recommendation: AmeriLuck Suction Bath Grab Bar – Buy Now
- Provides sturdy support in the shower or in a bathtub.
- Helps prevent dangerous falls while bathing
- Designed with a ribbed surface for extra grip
2. Grab Bar For Shower or Bathtub
RAPM’s Recommendation: Carex Tri-Grip Bathtub Rail – Buy Now
- Features a hi-lo design that ensures total support going in and out of the bathtub.
- Can safely hold up to 200lb weight capacity.
- Chrome-plated and vinyl sleeves to prevent damage.
3. Shower Bench Seat
RAPM’s Recommendation: Drive Medical Bathroom Bench – Buy Now
- Specifically designed for those who cannot stand for a long time, even during bath time.
- Made of aluminum legs with rubber feet that are angled outward to prevent slipping.
- Accommodates different height adjustments.
- Can easily support up to 300lbs.
4. Sliding Transfer Bench For Shower or Bathtub
RAPM’s Recommendation: Bathtub Transfer Bench – Buy Now
- Allows users to transfer in and out of the bathtub or shower easily.
- Specially made for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis who experience difficulty in movement.
- Has incorporated sliding rings that lock the seat at each end of the rails.
- Built with aluminum rails for extra strength and security.
- The seat is made with molded plastic
5. Non-Slip Bath Mat
RAPM’s Recommendation: Gorilla Grip Patented Bath Mat – Buy Now
- Provides additional safety during bath.
- Includes multiple suction cups to ensure mat stability.
- Mold resistant
6. Slip Resistant Shower Step Stool
RAPM’s Recommendation: Vive Bath Step – Buy Now
- Helps you step in and out of the shower or bathtub safely.
- Covered with nonstick, textured rubber for extra protection and stability.
- Provides an extra 4 inches in height.
- Can safely support up to 400lbs in weight
Toilet safety arthritis bathroom aids and tools
Getting on and off the toilet can sometimes be a challenge for people living with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
We need to make using the toilet as comfortable and easy and the only way to go about it is by adding toilet aids:
7. Toilet Safety Rails
RAPM’s Recommendation: HealthCraft Toilet Support Rail – Buy Now
- Provides support when using the toilet, both for sitting down and standing up.
- Easily stored. Rail can be lifted, out of sight, when not in use.
- Features an innovative offset rail that helps avoid wrist strain.
8. Toilet Seat Riser
RAPM’s Recommendation: Carex Hinged Toilet Seat Riser – Buy Now
- Provides 3.5 inches more to make bending a little easier.
- Sitting and standing on a standard height toilet is often too difficult for patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, adding 3.5 inches to the seat makes it a lot easier for them to use the toilet.
- Features a hinged design to make it safe and secure.
- It has a weight capacity of 300lbs.
- Available in round or elongated model
9. Toilet Seat Lifter
RAPM’s Recommendation: EZ-ACCESS Toilet Incline Lift – Buy Now
- Increases bathroom safety and independence
- Push-button seat lift for easy operation
- Provides non-slip hand grips to avoid slips while seat raises or lowers
- Allows users to move up to 7 ½ inches forward to improve balance and provide optimal positioning for standing.
- Frame and assembly are protected by a glass shield for easy cleaning.
10. Stand Alone Toilet Support Rails
RAPM’s Recommendation: Standing Toilet Safety Rail – Buy Now
- Specifically designed to provide support in toilet use.
- Has padded handrails to provide comfort and prevent slip-ups.
- The rails can be used with a standard or elongated toilet.
- Includes a rack that can be attached on the side to use as storage.
Bathing and toilet use aids
Along with the difficulty to use the toilet and bathroom independently and with ease, people living with Rheumatoid Arthritis would also need bathing and toilet aids to help complete the process of bathing and going to the toilet:
11. Self-Wipe Toilet Aid
RAPM’s Recommendation: Juvo Toilet Aid – Buy Now
- Helps patients with a limited range of motion.
- Helps hold the tissue in place for wiping.
- Can be used from front or back.
- Has an easy squeeze trigger that holds the tissue in place and a push-down button to release the used tissue without having to touch it with your hands.
- Hygienic, easy, and safe to use.
12. Portable Bidet
RAPM’s Recommendation: Tonelife Portable Bidet for Toilet – Buy Now
- Easy to use: just fill with water and squeeze
- Hygienic and environment friendly
- Helps avoid the use of toilet paper
- You can carry it anywhere and use it anytime.
13. Body Puff Sponge
RAPM’s Recommendation: Body Mesh Puff – Buy Now
- Specifically designed for people with limited range in motion and cannot bend or twist when bathing.
- Helps reach and clean hard-to-reach areas of the body.
- It is made up of soft mesh, eliminating the possibility of skin irritation
- Comes in different colors and has its own hook!
14. Inflatable Hair Wash Basin
RAPM’s Recommendation: YOEDAF Inflatable Wash Basin – Buy Now
- Designed for bedridden patients to wash and clean their hair.
- Provides secure support. Cushions head and shoulders for comfortable use.
- Includes a built-in inflatable headrest.
15. Button Assist Device
RAPM’s Recommendation: RMS Button Hook – Buy Now
- Ideal use for people living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Makes buttoning and unbuttoning pain-free and convenient
- Designed with ergonomic anti-slip handle and thick grip.
- Cab be used in buttons and zippers.
With a list of essential arthritis bathroom aids and tools, we are confident that people living with RA will have a much better, safe, and comfortable time in the bathroom.