For people living with hand or arm arthritis, arthritis drinking aids can help them with a very important life tasks — drinking liquids.
That is why adaptive cups, mugs, glasses, and other assistive devices are important for people living with arthritis.
They make grasping and holding a beverage much easier so that drinking can be done independently and easily.
Arthritis drinking aids like two-handle cups allow for use of both hands to support the cup and make it less painful on the joints and fingers.
Lightweight cups with large handles are designed to provide a secure grip.
Adaptive straws are designed to help people living with arthritis drink and enjoy a beverage without having to lift their drink.
Simple designs that you would normally not think about but have a massive contribution when it comes to helping people live better and pain-less lives.
Here are 21 of the best arthritis drinking aids that a person living with hand or arm arthritis can benefit tremendously from.
1. Adaptive Sippy Cup Mug
RAPM’s Recommendation: Small Two-Handle Sippy Cup Mug. – Buy Now
- Helps people with limited hand strength to drink independently and with ease.
- Has two teacup-style handles for a sturdier hold
- Anti-splash lid that prevents spills and controls the liquid flow.
- Dishwasher and microwave safe.
2. Cup with Straw
RAPM’s Recommendation: Vansun Adult Care Cup with Straw – Buy Now
- Can be used as a regular cup or a spout mouth cup.
- Helpful for people with limited hand strength.
- Double-wall vacuum design to keep liquid hot longer.
- Sealed lid to prevent leak.
- Made from Stainless Steel, food-grade Tritan material.
3. Kennedy Cup
RAPM’s Recommendation: Kennedy Cups – Pack of 3 – Buy Now
- A lightweight, spill-proof cup that is used with a straw.
- Screw-on lid that will not leak even when turned upside down.
- Has easy-grip handle, ideal for people with limited hand function.
- Can be used with any disposable style straw.
4. Clear Polycarb Mug
RAPM’s Recommendation: Homecraft Clear Polycarb Mug – Buy Now
- Ideal for people with limited grip and range of motion.
- A spill-proof cup that encourages autonomous liquid consumption.
- Made from shatterproof material that prevents accidents.
- Has marked gradations that can be used to monitor liquid consumption.
5. Insulated Mug with Snorkel Lid
RAPM’s Recommendation: Rehabilitation Advantage Insulated Mug – Buy Now
- Insulated mug with snorkel lid that maintains a temperature of both hot and cold beverages.
- Its lid snaps securely into place, regulating liquid flow.
- Specifically designed to help individuals who struggle with tremors, spasticity, and poor hand control.
6. Sure Grip Cup
RAPM’s Recommendation: Performance Health Sure Grip Cup – Buy Now
- The groove design ensures a better grip for people with limited grip and range of motion.
- Its lid provides liquid flow control and prevents spills even when the cup is tipped over.
- Microwave and dishwasher safe.
7. No-Slip Easy Grip Cup
RAPM’s Recommendation: Marusya Inc’s No-Slip Easy Grip Cup – Buy Now
- Designed for individuals with limited strength and mobility.
- It is non-weighted, well-balanced, and has a textured grip for added hold.
8. Nosey Cups
RAPM’s Recommendation: Nosey Cups 3 Pack – Buy Now
- Has an opening for the nose that allows drinking without lifting the head.
- Smooth, molded surface for better grip.
- Dishwasher safe.
9. Small Cup with Built-in Straw
RAPM’s Recommendation: Sammons Preston Small Cup – Buy Now
- Comes with a spill-proof lid and a built-in straw for easy consumption of liquid.
- Straw doubles as a handle and has access to the liquid at the bottom of the cup to prevent air ingestion.
- BPA and Phthalates Free
10. Two-Handled Ceramic Mug
RAPM’s Recommendation: HealthGoodsIn- Two Handled Ceramic Mug – Buy Now
- Has a dual-handle design to make lifting easier and more manageable.
- Ideal for people with limited hand mobility and tremors.
- Dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Can accommodate both hot and cold beverages.
11. Easy Grip Hand in Mug
RAPM’s Recommendation: Sammons Preston Easy Grip Hand in Mug – Buy Now
- Designed for people with weak grip and limited range of motion in hand & wrist.
- Can slide hand through the mug, no need to grasp the handle.
- Has a rotating lid that is easy to open and close, preventing unnecessary spills.
12. Water Bottle & Pill Organizer
RAPM’s Recommendation: Synergy Water Bottle & Pill Organizer – Buy Now
- Combines a beverage bottle, a pill case, and a cup in one package.
- Its pill compartment can store pills for up to 7 days.
- The snap lid provides security from spills
- Made from food-grade plastic.
13. Spill Proof Metal Tumbler
RAPM’s Recommendation: Spill Proof Metal Tumbler – Buy Now
- Made from premium 18/8 stainless steel that is odor-free and rust-proof.
- Includes a durable crystal ABS Lid that makes the cup spillproof.
- Can withstand multiple falls.
14. Vacuum Tumbler
RAPM’s Recommendation: Bubba Vacuum Tumbler – Buy Now
- Has a removable handle that slides into the top line, providing a steady grip for people with limited hand mobility.
- Has a skid-proof bottom that prevents the tumbler from sliding or falling.
- Can be used with or without a straw.
- Made from vacuum insulated stainless steel that keeps liquid cold or hot.
15. Motivational Water Bottle
RAPM’s Recommendation: PASER Leakproof Water Bottle –Buy Now
- Can be used with a straw or a flip-top opening. Either way, it’s leak-proof.
- Lightweight design with a built-in strap for people with limited hand strength.
- Includes a measurement scale so you can easily track your liquid intake.
16. Flexible Drinking Straws
RAPM’s Recommendation: Extra Long Plastic Straws – Buy Now
- Full-bent corrugated design that provides flexibility to adjust the straw length.
- Ideal for people with limited mobility to be able to drink liquids safely.
17. Flexible Straws for Jumbo Mugs
RAPM’s Recommendation: 15″ Flexible Straws – Buy Now
- The 15-inch straw that fits most 100oz mugs
- Includes straw brushes for cleaning.
- BPA free
18. Silicone Straw
RAPM’s Recommendation: Nightingale Silicone Straw – Buy Now
- The reusable straw comes with a free straw cleaner.
- Made from platinum-cured silicone that will not break or stain over time.
- Bended tip to prevent spilling liquid.
19. Sippy Cup Holder
RAPM’s Recommendation: Easy Grip Sippy Cup Holder – Buy Now
- Works with most bottles and cups.
- Made from flexible silicone that will not irritate your skin.
- Comes in 8 different sizes to fit most hand sizes.
- Puts the cup in hand or limb and against the skin for better distribution of weight and vibration.
20 Cup Holder
RAPM’s Recommendation: AdirMed Universal Drinking Cup Holder – Buy Now
- Clips easily to most walkers, wheelchairs, bicycles, and any other transport chairs.
- Fits almost all of the beverages from cups to thermos.
- Folds conveniently when not in use.
21. Tumbler Handle
RAPM’s Recommendation: Grab Life Outdoors – Buy Now
- Strong handle that will not flex when your tumbler is full.
- Designed to fit all hand sizes comfortably and provides a secure grip.
- Fits in your vehicle’s cup holder.
While these arthritis drinking aids are a great help, doing daily hand exercises will also reduce pain and swelling naturally and help improve hand mobility.
The important thing is to observe what works for you the best and continue using it.
The more help we can give ourselves, the better we will feel.