Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferers know that while it is inevitable to take medications for pain, there are natural pain killers for rheumatoid arthritis that may help in managing RA symptoms.
The chronic pain you feel may reduce your quality of life and take its toll on your mental health.
Managing RA pain not only relieves physical pain but also helps in your overall mental health.
If you are looking for natural pain killers for RA pain to take, here are 21 products that are backed up by science to be proven effective.
1. Glucosamine and Chondroitin
RAPM’s Recommendation: Glucosamine with Chondroitin Turmeric MSM Boswellia – Buy Now
- Both are components of cartilage – the connective tissue that cushions the joints.
- An international trial found that the combination of both is as effective in relieving pain as the drug celecoxib.
2. Capsicum (Cayenne)
RAPM’s Recommendation: NOW Supplements Cayenne – Buy Now
- Its active substance, capsaicin, blocks nerve cells from sending pain messages to the brain.
- A study of capsaicin found that higher concentrations could help in managing pain.
3. Fish oil
RAPM’s Recommendation: Fish Oil by Nature’s Bounty – Buy Now
- The Omega- 3 found in fish has anti-inflammatory properties.
- In 2017, a systematic review of studies found that taking fish oil supplements reduces swelling, stiffness, and joint pain.
RAPM’s Recommendation: Superior Labs Boswellia Extract – Buy Now
- Also known as Indian frankincense has anti-inflammatory properties.
- There is scientific evidence that shows that it is effective in reducing inflammation.
- The Arthritis Foundation even recommends taking it three times a day.
RAPM’s Recommendation: Nature Made SAM-e – Buy Now
- Full name S-adenosyl-methionine, which is a natural compound in the body that helps in reducing pain and protecting the body’s cartilage.
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Studies show that this supplement provides the same result in relieving pain as ibuprofen or celecoxib but without the side effects.
RAPM’s Recommendation: NOW Supplements Ginger Root – Buy Now
- It is known to have anti-inflammatory properties that are similar to ibuprofen.
- A 2014 study also suggests that ginger has additional protective effects on the joints.
7. Hemp Oil
RAPM’s Recommendation: Hemp Oil Extract – Buy Now
- Found in the cannabis plant. Studies found that CBD helps relieve pain, improve sleep, and reduce anxiety.
8. Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
RAPM’s Recommendation: Life Extension Mega GLA Sesame Lignans – Buy Now
- It is an omega-6 fatty acid that is considered essential fatty acid.
- Studies suggest that GLA reduces inflammation and protects DNA.
- The GLA, when taken, converts into a substance called DGLA that fights inflammation.
RAPM’s Recommendation: NOW Supplements Quercetin – Buy Now
- Has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may benefit people with RA.
- Studies suggest that Quercetin helps regulate inflammation reactions and may be very helpful for people living with RA.
10. Willow Bark Extract
RAPM’s Recommendation: Swanson White Willow Bark – Buy Now
- The herbal extract has been used in native and folk medicine to relieve pain, inflammation, and fever.
11. Apium Graveolens
RAPM’s Recommendation: Celery Seed Extract by Natural Factors – Buy Now
- Also known as celery seed extract. Commonly used to treat arthritis, digestion, and conditions of the liver and spleen.
- Studies show that celery seed extract has an anti-inflammatory effect that would greatly help people with RA.
12. Uncaria Tomentosa
RAPM’s Recommendation: NOW Supplements Cat’s Claw – Buy Now
- Also known as Cat’s Claw that is used for a variety of ailments including infections, cancer, arthritis, and other diseases as it boosts the immune system.
RAPM’s Recommendation: Turmeric Curcumin with BioPerine – Buy Now
- The principal curcuminoid of turmeric, a member of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae.
- It is commonly used to treat pain and inflammation.
14. Borage Oil
RAPM’s Recommendation: Nature’s Way Borage Oil – Buy Now
- Also known as the starflower.
- It is a seed that has GLA that helps reduce inflammation.
- Studies show that it may help reduce RA activity and help reduce joint pain.
15. Avocado-Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASU)
RAPM’s Recommendation: Avocado Soy Unsaponifiable – Buy Now
- A vegetable extract made from the oils of avocados and soybeans.
- It blocks pro-inflammatory chemicals and prevents cell deterioration.
- It may also help regenerate connective tissues in the body.
- Studies further show that it can reduce joint inflammation and pain.
16. Perna Canaliculus
RAPM’s Recommendation: Green Lipped Mussel Oil – Buy Now
- Also known as the green-lipped mussel.
- The Arthritis Foundation highlighted some studies where taking the said supplement is one of the best natural pain killers for arthritis.
- It may also have healing properties for the stomach and can be an alternative to taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
17. Vitamin D
RAPM’s Recommendation: Now Foods Supplements Vitamin D3 – Buy Now
- Studies have linked Vitamin D to greater bone density and improved immunity.
- Lack of Vitamin D has also been associated with disease activity for people with RA.
RAPM’s Recommendation: Caltrate 600 – Buy Now
- Having Rheumatoid Arthritis can lead to bone loss which can further lead to osteoporosis.
- Studies show that taking calcium can increase the mortality rate of patients with RA.
19. Vitamin C
RAPM’s Recommendation: Vitamin C + Rose Hips by Nature’s Bounty – Buy Now
- A powerful natural pain killer for arthritis that is important in joint health and immune function.
- Studies show that Vitamin C may help in reducing pain, inflammation, and protect the body from cartilage damage associated with RA.
20. Coenzyme Q10
RAPM’s Recommendation: Doctor’s Best High Absorption CoQ10 – Buy Now
- Although known to help in cardiac function, it may also help decrease the pain of RA by reducing the bad inflammatory chemicals that lead to cartilage deterioration.
RAPM’s Recommendation: Probiotic 40 Billion – Buy Now
- Beneficial bacteria in the gut that regulate inflammation by reducing the common biomarkers of inflammation.
- Studies suggest that probiotics help reduce pain, inflammation, and cartilage degeneration.
Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis would require all the help you can get in managing RA symptoms.
Trying out natural remedies for rheumatoid arthritis pain will help you manage your symptoms and boost your immunity.
These natural supplements will also help avoid related conditions like osteoporosis and cartilage degeneration.
And the most ideal part of this is, it is all-natural so you do not have to worry about harming your body with chemicals.
As with all other things that you want to try out, we encourage you to consult your doctor first.
Read More Related Articles About Rheumatoid Arthritis & Natural Pain Relief:
- CBD and Rheumatoid Arthritis: What You Need To Know
- Turmeric for Rheumatoid Arthritis [7 Supplements To Look Into]
- 9 Essential Oils for Arthritis Pain Relief